13 March 2008

Writing and Time

So, here it is almost the end of the week and I have writing tasks piling up which is very stressful. Here are the tasks I currently have and where they are (in order):

1) Article for magazines on GPS surveying in Iraq: I have 20 pages to read and need to draft the article ASAP. However, this is a paying job so I need to get on it.

2) Article for magazines on archeology in Egypt: a phone interview is set up for Friday afternoon. Otherwise, I know little about this one. Again, paid work.

3) My co-author and I need to finish the Harry Potter chapter for the book Reading Harry Potter II. It is due after Spring break. I have ordered the books we need to my shelf in the NYPL-Humanities. Academic articles do not pay.

4) The journal article Alien Ware is in a long rough draft (again with my co-author), but I need more research for it—probably at the NYPL Performing Arts branch. The due date it loose on this one. I hope this goes into Science Fiction Studies or Science Fiction Television and Film.

5) My solo book on Virtual Culture is on hold until summer, though it is in a long, ugly draft. Ugh. Maybe I can finish it this year. Maybe not. I want this one done so I can get on with either the gaming book or the SF Film one.

So, I don’t exactly feel better after making that list, but it seems a bit more manageable. Kind of.

11 comments:

Zinaida's-blog. said...

hey Dr. smith!!! i see u have alot of work to do. Goood Luck>>>>

(((Hema))) said...

Wow Doc, you have some great things going on. If ever you have a link or wanna show us one of your articles, I'd enjoy reading it. Especially on Egyptian archeology, Egypt is so amazzzing.

Ana said...

Hi Dr. Smith! I would like to see some links too. Archeology in Egypt and gaming...pretty interesting.

Brandon said...

I'd like to know what the SF Film book is supposed to be about.

C. Jason Smith said...

Hi all--I am writing a lot this weekend (and trying to finish you guys' schedule for the semester) but I'll try and get you some links to some of my stuff ASAP. And thanks for the support (just letting you know I understand the workload is nuts).

helen. said...

that's alot of work...hope you began some of the tasks. i haven't read any of teh harry potter books itself. Instead i watched the movie, visual is better.

Dino said...

What Science Fiction are you planning on writing about?

I am currently in a Space Opera mood so I'm reading all the Dune books...or at least attempting to, the Frank Herbert books are so confusing.

BeBe26 said...

dr. jason smith i see you have a lot of work that you have to do. well you are not the only one all of your students have to catch up on our school work also. But my advice is to don't procrasinate.

C. Jason Smith said...

Hi All!

Dino-- I am currently writing about starships (what they mean, why they look the way they do etc.) in space films and TV like Battlestar Galactica and 2001 and Star Wars.

Dino said...

Great topic! The technical aspect of Scifi has always been cool to read about, I look foward to reading your book.

You probably have already seen this but ill post it anyway,

http://www.merzo.net/

Mary. said...

It's nice to see that you are back. I am happy that you are still using the same blog.